Monday, June 21, 2010

A random display of kindness and theft

On Wednesday of last week, I was downtown with my friend Amelia. We were going to the YMCA but thought instead of working out on the treadmill, we would put our feet to the pavement.

As we were passing a bookstore, a man in a wheelchair came out and following him was another younger man. “Sir, I think you dropped some money,” the young man yelled as he ran to catch up with the man in the wheel chair. He handed him a wad of cash that included $50’s and $20’s.

WOW – Amelia and I were both impressed (and shocked) by the young man for being honest and returning the money to its rightful owner. It would have been really easy to pick up the money and walk away. It was so refreshing to see kindness – fresh, pure kindness.

I thought about that exchange several times that evening. It was just great.

The next day, Amelia and I were at lunch at Apollo on Brady Street because we had been craving Greek food. The very nice man at the counter took my order and I gave him my card to pay. “Miss, your card has been declined,” he said. Those are word that no woman likes to hear!

“What?!?!” I said.

“It is saying lost or stolen card,” he said. “You should check into that.”

Well – great. I went ahead and had my lunch and then scurried home to check my checking account online. When I got to my account page – there were lots of red numbers with a minus sign next to them and several purchases in Bronx, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. They wiped me out….and then some. (To the tune of $1,700!)

It wasn’t until today that I realized the irony of the situation. Within 48 hours I had witnessed honesty and kindness and theft and greed.

On the bright side, my bank has been great and is reimbursing me for all of the fraudulent charges. And to be honest, I’m kind of glad it was me who was stolen from because if that man had lost his cash – he never would have gotten it back.

Lucky for me, my account will be back to normal in no time!

(On a side note - the jerks that stole my debit card number made a purchase for $1.95 at Dunkin Doughnuts to which I thought - why didn't you at least get a dozen doughnuts or some munchkins! I mean, if you are already steeling why stop at $1.95!! Ohh the nerve!)

No comments:

Post a Comment