Monday, April 16, 2012

Emotional Meltdown

I don’t know what my problem has been lately but I have to share a recent story from last Monday. My poor husband...

We were driving to work together and were stopped at this super busy intersection when I looked out the window and saw a mother duck with her dozen or so ducklings. My first reaction was to melt in utter cuteness but then I realized, “OH MY GOSH – WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE?!@#$@#” It’s a super busy area with a crazy amount of cars zooming by. I looked around and realized there was no refuge or nature area for this little duck family.

I started to get really hot and a little panicked. I even rolled down my window to get some air. I also started channeling the mother duck. I know she had to be frantic about finding a safe place for her little family. I kept thinking of those commercials of a woman talking about how she was scared for her children and in the end you realize it is the voice of a deer in the forest.  Dramatic huh?

The next thing I know – after a “Peach, are you ok?” from Joey, I am uncontrollably crying. I know Joey was completely shocked, confused, concerned.

I couldn’t stop – huge tears rolling down my face because of my concern for the duck family. Joey – being the good husband he is, got on his iPhone and started calling the DNR and humane society. He was such a trooper trying to help me help the ducks (I was driving by the way).

When we got to work, I ran inside to clean up my face. I had another cry fest with a concerned co-worker. And then I made about a hundred calls to different animal centers to alert them of the issue. I was so close to grabbing a box and heading back to see if I could corral the little guys.  

I left a bunch of messages and thankfully, the story ended up with an ok ending. The mother duck ended up getting spooked and she flew away and the babies fell into a sewer – I know that doesn’t sound promising but apparently ducks in a sewer is a common occurrence. A police officer and a few animal biology students went to retrieve the ducklings.

I am hoping that everything ended up happily and that the ducklings were retrieved. I definitely had a major case of human guilt.  I just felt so bad – philosophically speaking - about taking up too much room on this Earth. All of our crowded roads, multiplying housing additions and shopping malls – I kept thinking about the ducks.

Anyway – I had to share my story. I know I sound a little crazy. But, my husband was an all-star.

What can I say, I’m a quack. (Lame attempt at duck humor.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I think that I would have done the same thing. I ever see an animal walking too close to the street I am always gripped with anxiety and worry way too much about them getting in the road. If you're a quack then so am I!

    ReplyDelete