Sunday, March 28, 2010

Succulent City

Over the past few weeks, I have discovered my love for plants and growing things. Last summer, my mom gave me a few basil starts which grew tremendously and provided me with many fresh tomato basil salads.

I also bought a few succulent plants that I have enjoyed taking care of over the winter months. There is something about having fresh growing plants inside when outside is lacking in green.

So, recently, I have become more and more interested in growing herbs and veggies from seed. I have my seedling starts planted and hopefully they are growing. I’m working on sweet basil, cherry tomatoes and vine tomatoes. Also, I plan to start some banana peppers and mint but before I create a huge potted garden, I need to figure out where Joey and I will be moving to in May.

On a side note – although we love our apartment from the inside, the outside has left us no choice – no garage and a history of vehicle theft and break-ins is a clear indicator that our time in Brewer’s Hill is coming to an end.

Anyhow – besides my seedlings that I am nurturing – I have become more and more intrigued by succulents. What is a succulent you might ask – well, succulents are from the cactus family – HOWEVER – they don’t stick you and can be very bright green and soft. I have several succulent gardens where I have mixed and matched mini succulents. They are so cute and easy to care for.

One of the coolest things about these plants is that they multiply and can live for years. If a leaf brakes off, you can replant it and start a new plant. Or, if your plant gets too big – you and take snippets and create new plants. I have a few plants that I found on the floor of a greenhouse and nursed them back to healthy plant status.

Luckily for me – there are several green houses and garden centers that carry a variety of these cute plants and it has been fun finding the good places to go. I hope for my plants sake that if we move to a new apartment, we have a lot of sunny windows!!

No comments:

Post a Comment