Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ummm...what was that?

So this evening, I went to get a massage. Every semester at Marquette, the physical therapy students have a fundraiser Massage-A-Thon which allows them to get their required number of massage hours. I have done this about three or four times and have always had really great students who knew what they were doing. I have always left feeling very refreshed and relaxed.

Today - I wasn't so lucky. I spent 45 minutes getting pinched. Literally...the girl pinched the skin on my back, neck and arms for 45 minutes! And...I let her do it.

I didn't tell her that she needed to use more massage lotion and that it felt like I was getting an Indian burn on my entire back. I also didn't tell her that a slow massage is much better than squeezing and pinching as quickly as possible. I also told her she did a great job when she asked me at the end. (I forgot to mention she told me I was one of her first massages - not that I was surprised.)

So I learned a few lessons - 1.) you get what you pay for 2.) the squeaky wheel gets the oil and in this case massage lotion, and 3.) request a third or fourth year massage student.

No comments:

Post a Comment