Friday, January 15, 2010

So I think I like the snow

So after thinking about it, the weather in Milwaukee is not all that bad. Don't get me wrong, its cold, but it is also kind of cozy. For the first two winters we lived in Milwaukee…it was like we were drowning in snow. Terms like “white-outs”, “winter weather emergency”, “low visibility”, “snow blowers” and “wind chill” entered into our vocabulary for the first time. I know in Indiana we get snow…but if it’s more than 2 inches, school is canceled. In Milwaukee – it has to snow a few feet before kids luck out on a snow day.

Also, Milwaukee news stations treat winter weather like breaking news giving updates from all over the City and interrupting local programming. It becomes exciting and you find yourself panicked and going to the grocery store to stock up in case you are snowed in! It’s also kind of fun to get bundled up and shovel your walk way….not in the early morning (thanks Joey), but after work.

During the last winter storm, we ended up with about 12 inches of a light powdery snow. The key here is that the temperature was in the 20's - not sub-zero, so being outside was reasonable. Rosie and I bundled up and went out to tackle shoveling. I was getting a workout and she was eating snow and it was….FUN! It’s also neat because even when it is dark out, the snow reflection makes it light outside. It’s calming in a way.

Currently, we are in the midst of a heat wave. It’s going to be in the 30’s all week which is very unseasonable. Because I am driving to Indiana this weekend, I’m good with the warm up, but secretly I’m hoping for a big BIG storm when we get back! It keeps things interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment