Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thank you Shirley!


Lately I have had a thing for Shirley Temples. Not the movies (although I used to watch them at my aunt’s house whenever I spent the night) but the drink. Sometimes I want a cocktail without the liquor. It also brings me back to being a little girl because my dad would order them for me if we went out to eat and I always felt special with my pretty drink.

Regardless, I looked up the history of the drink and was surprised to see that the version I know and love is not the original version that was created for Miss Temple! The original drink was invented by a bartender in Beverly Hills, CA at Chasen’s restaurant, a place Shirley Temple often frequented as a child. As she could  not drink alcohol, but was always in the company of adults, Chasen’s sought a drink that would appeal to Shirley’s taste buds, and the kiddie cocktail was born.

The recipes are below if you are in the market for a fun alternative to a cocktail! I think either version would be super cute if served at a baby shower!

The Original Shirley Temple
-Two parts Ginger Ale
-One part orange juice
-1TSP grenadine
-Garnished with an orange slice and a cherry

Modern Day Shirley Temple
-Ginger Ale, Sprite or 7up base
-1TBS grenadine
-Garnished with a cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment