Friday, November 5, 2010

Eye don’t think it was a good idea

Recently I‘ve noticed my vision changing. I used to have spectacular vision and could see things from far away, but I have started to notice a change since I look at a computer screen most of the day.

I made my first eye doctor appointment per Joey's recommendation. Everything was going well and then the doctor said he was going to dilate my pupils. Ok, I haven’t had this done before but it’s just a few eye drops, no big deal. That’s what I thought until I started getting really hot and dizzy…

So I interrupted my doctor with a, “…I’m really sorry but am I supposed to be feeling dizzy…”

This was followed by a series of breathing exercises, going in and out of conscientiousness, intense sweating, numb hands and slurring words. And no, I’m not kidding.

I remember my poor doctor saying, “Stay with me, stay with me.”

Yes-I almost fainted at the eye doctor.

Apparently this reaction happens to about a handful of people each year and there is no major reason for it. The doctor explained bunch of other stuff but I was trying not to black out so I stopped listening.

So what makes it even better is the fact that after I couldn’t see anything up close afterwards. So picture me – hot, sweaty, blind as a bat…I had to go and get a cookie and sit in the food court of the shopping center I was at and stayed there for an hour before I felt safe enough to drive home. But before I left, I had to make a quick return at Kohl’s.

I forgot my sunglasses so to nice folks at the doctor’s office game me a disposable roll up vision shield. 1.)Are you kidding me? 2.) Have you seen what these look like? They actually thought I was going to wear this plastic shield around the town center? Did I fail to mention it was 8pm!?!


Anyhow, I went on to Kohl's - which apparently uses the brightest florescent lights in the world because as soon as I walked in, I had sharp pain in my temples. I was squinting just to get around the store. I made my returns and got out as soon as possible.

Welcome to most painful headache I have ever had.

To make this incredibly long story short, I don’t need glasses. I have eye fatigue and the doctor gave me eye drops to help with this. And – you will read all about the “wonderful” eye drops in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment